Filing an application

Legal designation of lessors and lessees

In any legal proceeding (an application, an amendment, etc.), it’s important to clearly and accurately indicate (designate) who the parties involved are. That means designating:

  • The plaintiff (the person making the application)


  • The defendant (the person who will need to defend themselves)

Some applications may have multiple parties, and all of them must be correctly designated.

If a party is designated incorrectly, the case may be postponed (for example, to provide time to make the necessary corrections and take action against the correct individuals), or the application may even be rejected.

If an incorrect designation appears in a decision, it could prevent the decision from being executed. You would have to start the whole process over again.

How to write the correct designation

The following table should clarify the issue for you.

If an application involves Designation Examples

one or more individuals

Full name of each individual.

For a married woman, her maiden name.

Robert Duval

Jennifer Ackerman

a person using a business name

The person’s full name.

The full name may be followed by the business name.

Joyce Casper or Joyce Casper doing business under the name of Casper Apartments

a general partnership

All the partners must sign, or they may appoint a representative by proxy.

For a plaintiff, the name of the company followed by the words “and Co.” is sufficient.

For a defendant, state the name of the company or, if there is some question about its solvency, the name may be followed by the names of the partners held jointly responsible.

Real Estate Management and Co. 

Real Estate Management and Co., Andrew White, John Durand, William Tell held jointly responsible

a company whose name ends in an Inc. (for Incorporated) or a Ltd. (for Limited)

Note: A company must act through a resolution.

Write the full name, followed by the word Inc. or Ltd., whichever is applicable.

293871 Québec Inc.
or Success Real Estate Ltd. 

Special cases: If the case involves a co ownership, a trustee, the tutor to a minor child, the curator or tutor to a protected adult, a public curator, a trustee in bankruptcy or a legal or testamentary succession, please contact the Tribunal administrative du logement for instructions on how to proceed.